|Duration: 10 Hours|
|Age: 6 years +|
|Skill Level: Moderate (includes hiking)|
|Food: Light Snacks and Refreshments Included|
|Launch Site: Selected pickup point|
|Locations: El Yunque Rainforest and Laguna Grande Bio Bay|
|Open: Monday – Saturday|
|Transportation: Yes! Pickup available|
USD Per person + tax
BIO BAY & RAINFOREST TOUR DETAILS
- Training and safety instructions guidance prior to the tour.
- Kayak and Paddle: 1, 2 or 3 person sit-on-top kayak. Beginner friendly paddles.
- Personal Flotation Device. US Coast Guard approved.
- Nighttime navigation lights (Low intensity)
- Snacks: bottled water, seasonal fresh fruits, protein bars and other surprises.
- Bug spray
- Digital photos taken by KRP staff.
- First Aid and kayak rescue and towing equipment.
- Explore the mangrove channel of Las Cabezas de San Juan Reserve
- Kayak at nightfall through the Bioluminescent Bay
- Discover billions of sparkling microorganisms
- Learn about the nature reserve’s fragile ecology and the constellations
- Enjoy with the best reputed eco guides in Puerto Rico!
- Round trip transportation*
- El Yunque Rainforest Excursion*:
- Visit to El Portal Visitor Center (video, information, souvenirs)
- Hike to La Mina Falls (trail hiking, refreshing splash)
- Visit to Yocahú Observation Tower (panoramic view, picture area)
- Visit to La Coca Falls (sightseeing, picture area)
- Dinner stop at a local restaurant (meal not included in tour price)
- Bio Bay Kayak Tour*:
- Eco-interpretive tour to Laguna Grande Bioluminescent Bay
- Kayak and paddles†
- US Coast Guard approved life jacket
- Low intensity nighttime navigation lights
- Training and safety instruction prior to the tour
- Eco-friendly bug spray
- Snacks: bottled water, fresh seasonal fruits, protein bars, and other treats
- First aid and kayak towing equipment
- Complimentary digital photos of your experience
* Round trip transportation and El Yunque Rainforest Excursion is provided by Fine Line Excursions. The Bio Bay Kayak Tour is provided by Kayaking Puerto Rico.
†Two persons sit-on-top kayaks available. All kayaks, paddles, and equipment are beginner-friendly.
- Pickup at hotel: between 10:00-11:00 AM†
- Arrival at El Yunque Rainforest: 12:30 PM
- Restaurant stop: 4:30 PM
- Bio Bay Tour: 6:00 PM
- Return to hotel: 9:30 PM
*All times in this schedule are approximations to give you a general idea about your day. Exact times may change by season. Feel free to contact us for more detailed information.
† Pickup time depends on location. Please read the Transportation section below for more details.
EL YUNQUE RAINFOREST EXCURSION
Your full-day adventure in the east side of Puerto Rico starts at El Portal Visitor Center, in El Yunque Rainforest. Known as The Gateway to the Forest, here you will be able to watch an informative film, meet the place in depth, and get souvenirs.
Next, we start our fully-guided hike to La Mina Falls. This walk is considered moderate to strenuous; therefore, guests should be in good physical health. At La Mina you will be able to take a refreshing splash and enjoy the falls at will.
Following the recreation time at La Mina, our next stop is the the Yocahú Observation Tower, where you will enjoy a 360° panoramic view of El Yunque Rainforest and take frame-worthy pictures! Finally, we stop at La Coca Falls, also known as The Fountain of Youth by the Spanish conqueror Juan Ponce de Leon.
In this excursion you will explore two different trails and hike through three different levels of the forest.
DINNER STOP, PUERTO RICAN STYLE!
After the rainforest hiking tour we will board the bus, descend from the mountains, and head for a delicious dinner featuring authentic Puerto Rican style cooking. This stop will be at a local restaurant that we select with anticipation, and may change by season. Please contact us for more information about the selected restaurant for your tour.
Average cost normally ranges from $12 to $14 per person. Please remember that the meal and gratuities are not included in tour price.
BIO BAY KAYAK TOUR
Your Bio Bay Kayak Tour begins at Las Croabas, right next to Las Cabezas de San Juan Nature Reserve. Here our team of professional eco guides will show you all the basics of kayaking, safety, and the rules of the nature reserve. Following this quick training, we will board our kayaks on easily accessible, shallow water and then… off we go into this once in a lifetime adventure!
The magic of Laguna Grande — our astounding Bio Bay— begins at its very entrance: the mangrove channel! This long path of water is bordered by a red mangrove forest teeming with life. Get prepared to feel the pulse of this lush coastal wetland, while it welcomes you to the unique paradise ahead. Your professional eco guides will lead the way and provide ecological interpretation of the ecosystem around you.
After about 20 minutes of paddling, the mangrove channel opens up into the heart of the reserve: the wide space of Laguna Grande. Watch how every stroke of your paddle leaves behind a glowing swirl of blue light, and dozens of sparkles rain from your hands as you come in touch with this wondrous natural phenomenon! Pay close attention, as fishes may pass by your side lighting up their paths like a shooting stars in the water.
Our professional eco guides will share with you the science behind bioluminescence, and all the secrets of the reserve’s wildlife. Then, up our eyes go to the sky! The darkness of Laguna Grande provides the perfect theater for watching the stars, and our eco guides will teach you more about the constellations that grace our night.
As we cruise back through the mangrove channel, surrounded by the nocturnal sounds of nature, you will feel the rush of knowing that you truly explored Puerto Rico’s best-hidden secrets and enjoyed a unique experience rarely found elsewhere in the planet!
After the Bio Bay Tour, your transportation will be ready to take you back to your hotel.
The description above is intended to provide you a general idea of the tour itinerary. On rare occasions, we may be obliged to make minor changes to the schedule according to weather, seasons, and availabilities. Please contact us if you wish to receive more detailed information about any aspect of your tour.
WHAT TO BRING
- One backpack
- Comfortable hiking clothes (put on)
- Close-toed shoes that can get wet (sneakers or water shoes, no flip flops)
- Set of dry clothes and shoes
- Light poncho or rain jacket recommended
- Your medicines, if you have a particular condition only
- Cash for restaurants, souvenirs, tips, etc.
- Camera (waterproof or protected)
WE RECOMMEND YOU DO NOT BRING
We can keep your valuables secure at the dock, but it is best if you keep it simple and avoid bringing the following items:
- Big bags or multiple bags
- Expensive, non-waterproof cameras
- Expensive jewelry (may fall off while hiking, swimming, or kayaking)
- Large gear, water toys or inflatables
- Any valuable that cannot get wet
- Alcoholic beverages
This excursion is not recommended for guests with physical conditions, knee, hip or back problems, epilepsy, heart conditions, dizziness or that had recent surgery. Pregnant women cannot participate. Please remember that it is your responsibility to notify us ahead of time with any concerns about your health or physical condition. The hiking excursion requires walking downhill and uphill. Participants must be in good physical health.
Maximum weight limit per person is 285 pounds (129 kg). Maximum weight limit per kayak is 485 pounds (220 kg). Minimum age is 6 years old.
This excursion requires a minimum of at least six guests in order to provide the tour. In the event this minimum is not met, we will call one or two days prior to the excursion to go over alternative options (i.e. reschedule for a different date or time that has the minimum requirement, payment options for a private excursion, or cancel without penalty).
The excursion to El Yunque Rainforest does not include complimentary pictures. If you would like to have memories of your experience there, we recommend you to bring your camera.
“The Bio Bay Kayak Tour includes complimentary pictures of your experience with Kayaking Puerto Rico in the Bioluminescent Bay. We will upload all the photos taken by the staff to Google Photos and send you a link to the email you provided in your reservation. Please allow 5-7 business days for the pictures to be posted.”
Please be aware that bioluminescence is almost impossible to photograph or record with regular digital cameras, disposable cameras, or cellphones. Therefore, we recommend you to not bring your camera on your kayak, since everything aboard will get inevitably wet and there will be no place to store your camera in the event of heavy rainfall.
If you still want to bring a camera on your kayak, make sure that it is waterproof. We also recommend that you use a leash to attach it to your life vest. A floating strap will not be enough to protect your camera, because although it will keep it afloat, you will not be able to find it in the darkness of the lagoon.
This tour includes round trip transportation. The transportation service is scheduled directly with Kayaking Puerto Rico and provided by Fine Line Excursions. Depending on your location, you will receive pre-assigned pickup point and approximate pick up time on your confirmation email. Pickup points include all hotels in San Juan, Carolina, and the east coast area.
APPROXIMATE HOTEL PICK UP TIMES:
- Condado Area 10:00-10:15 AM
- San Juan Area 10:15-10:30 AM
- Ocean Park 10:25-10:35 AM
- Isla Verde 10:30-10:45 AM
- Fajardo 10:30 AM
- Rio Grande 11:00 AM
We have a 48-hour cancellation policy for all of our excursions. Up until 48 hours before check-in time, you may change your reservation or cancel it for a full refund. Cancellations made in less than 48 hours before departure time, late arrivals, and “no-shows” will maintain a full charge. All cancellations must be made directly with Kayaking Puerto Rico, by telephone or email.
GROUPS OF 10 OR MORE GUESTS
Groups of 10 or more guests must cancel at least 2 weeks prior to the date of the excursion in order to receive a full refund. Cancellations of groups made in less than 2 weeks prior to the excursion date will maintain a full charge on any spaces we are unable to resell. Guests that are no-shows or late arrivals will receive full charge.
If we cancel a tour due to weather conditions, you will be provided a full refund. However, be aware that we are the ones that determine the cancellations due to weather conditions. Please, do not make the mistake of deciding not to attend because you think the weather might not be acceptable, as you will still be charged if the trip goes out. If you ever have a question about the weather conditions, please call us to confirm.
Due to the unique nature and small size of our groups, we are forced to remain firm about our cancellation policy. Consider that on the day of your excursion we will be there, onsite, waiting, and ready to serve you. Regardless of the cancellation reason, our time and fixed costs are already invested; we may even have turned down other customers by holding your space. Thank you for understanding!